Monday, August 08, 2005

Something different

I walked into the market (Whole Foods) the other day looking for something different to grill... What I discovered was a lovely cut of meat...a boned butterflied leg of lamb that was small enough for a serving for two with a little left over for a cold lunch the next day. I marinated it for the day in red wine, olive oil, rosemary and thyme and 3 large cloves of garlic. By the end of the day it was moist and juicy, ready for grilling. Lamb is great with mint which grows like a weed in the garden... usually taking over most of the herbs while it spreads like wildfire. Having so much of it, I decided to make a sauce for the lamb. I put three large cloves of peeled garlic and a large handful of mint leaves in the blender. Turning on the blender, I slowly added some rice wine vinegar to the mixture and made a foamy sauce. It was a little sharp so I added some sugar to taste. The result was a really fresh mint sauce pungent with garlic that was terrific when lavished on the grilled lamb. The mint sauce was great the next day on the leftovers of thinly sliced grilled lamb which I served on a bed of dressed greens...an elegant lunch on a summer's day.

No comments: