Monday, November 07, 2005

Sunday brunch

Poached pears in wine and cinnamon sticks are a great way to warm up the kitchen with the scent of fall. Sunday I made eggs benedict with a low fat ersatz "Hollandaise" that I think is even better than the real thing...and much easier. In a small sauce pan, put 4-5 TBS The Ojai Cook's Lemonaise Lite, 1 TBS spicy mustard, whisk in no-fat Half and Half ( or soy creamer) until the sauce is smooth and the consistency of hollandaise and heat until warm and bubbly. Top off rounds of toasted English muffins layered with ham ( or smoked salmon) with poached eggs and drizzle with sauce. I poached the pear halves ( I scooped out the seeds) turned them upsidedown with the skin on, poured in about an inch or two of white wine, added some cinnamon sticks, covered and put them in a 350 degree oven for about an hour until firm but tender. I served them with a ball of goat cheese that I had rolled in crushed pecans and drizzled with a blasamic glaze. I served the eggs and pears on a bed of baby spinach...it was delicious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i agree!!!